The collective name for a variety of fungi and bacteria which attack the base of the leaves and the crown, where new leaves are formed.
- Soft brown/black areas around the crown
- Yellowing leaves
- Weak/collapsing stalks
Prevention & control
- Bring in only disease-free plants
- Keep plants healthy in moist but well-drained fertile soil, keep weeds at bay and remove crop debris.
- Harvest damaged/less healthy looking leaves first
- Remove and burn affected plants and plant a different variety in another part of the plot.