Infection by Verticillium dahliae on sunflower© Howard F. Schwartz, Colorado State University, Bugwood.org
Wilt (Fusarium & Verticillium spp.)These two fungi both hamper the plant's ability to transport water from roots to leaves by clogging the xylem vessels which transport water or as the plant blocks them itself in an attempt to reduce the spread of the disease.
Prevention & control
- Modern, resitant varieties are available
- Strong, healthy crops are more likley to resist infection
- Good long rotation (up to 6 years) is advisable for susceptible crops
- Remove and burn affected plants
- Practice good plot hygiene, removing all traces of previous crops and keeping weeds, which can also host the disease, under control